Saturday, June 14, 2014

Apples

In my continuing quest to tackle my UFO and To Do lists, which actually seem to be growing, I dove into a bag of kits I have purchased over the years and came out with "Apples", an appliqued wall quilt by Applepatch Designs. I wanted something that would be quick and easy, a project that would go from start to finish in a couple of days, and this was it!



It's so nice to make a quilt from a kit...everything is there just waiting for a few cuts. The background squares of creams and greens were chain pieced....


and came together in no time at all.



The next step was to make the flying geese blocks using a quick method of drawing, sewing, and cutting,



Do you see how the red triangles in the border will become the tops of the apples?



The next step was to applique the letters. I loved that the letters were a good size and finished quickly. I used my blanket stitch with green thread on the top and a cream in the bobbin. 



I really liked the effect when I added the leaves and the stems to a few apples and raced outside to take a picture before the sun went down. Unfortunately, the sun also washes out the colour.



The next day was quilt day! Yes, I considered doing FMQ, and even made three quilt sandwiches to practice on. My stitching just didn't make me happy, so I decided to do a traditional cross hatch design instead. I marked it in 2" intervals with a Frixion pen and used my trusty Pfaff to machine stitch the straight lines. 



I made a sleeve and pinned it to the top before I sewed on the binding.



Then it was time to attach the binding...



The quilt finishes at 20" x 28", a great size as a hanging in the kitchen or a table topper...



or maybe just to hang around outside sharing space with the last blooms of my forsythia...



or joining the wood pile, though the colour is a bit off.



After I took the picture of the quilt with the bowl of apples, I decided to make a pie. So off to the kitchen I go...

Thanks so much for coming by. It's a great day for quilting!


27 comments:

  1. You never, ever, cease to amaze me. I just love this little quilt/table topper/wall hanging! It's as cute as can be. I've only made something from a kit a couple of times, but you are so right! With everything included, it goes so smoothly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should be pleased with that sweet quilt. And one thing for the to do list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love the colors in that quilt. How fun to finish something up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is the cutest darn little quilt and I thoroughly enjoyed you taking us on your journey while making it.

    Forsythia? Yikes! Ours have been gone for about a month now. What a difference a couple of hundred miles makes, huh?

    Can't wait to see what's next on your agenda...after the apple pie, of course!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful little quilt. Thank you for sharing all the process with us - can feel the joy. Hmm - apple pie sounds devine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When you sew little fabric cut out apples to a quilt is that Apple-que??? Just thinkin'...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful finish and way to cook those apples!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such an adorable little apple quilt! I'll bet it felt like an awesome finish once the apple pie was baked too. Quilting then pie...what could be better?!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks great! Isn't it wonderful to do a cute little project as a break from the todo lists? Glad you made a bit of a detour. ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love it Lesley , so glad I bought that kit now , thanks fir the preview of my upcoming project . Wonderful job !

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am a big fan of Cross Hatching and it looks very good on your Apples Wall hanging. I am also a big fan of kits because all the hard work of picking fabrics is done for me, but the trouble for me is I am not using my stash up. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  12. Brilliant work. What a great project to work on for a quick finish.
    It looks lovely with your quilting. A great finish!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It looks great and the thought of apple pie ... yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Look at you go! What a cute little project. Nothing wrong with straight line quilting. Very effective!
    Love the triangles turning into apples.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I found you through Sheila and Linda. This quilt is darling.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a sweet little quilt. That is much to cute to leave undone. Glad you finished it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. A darling finish, Lesley! I had a giggle about how finishing this quilt gave you the idea to bake a pie... an apple pie, right? If I were you, I would avoid any quilt kits that have housekeeping as the main theme,,, wouldn't want you to get carried away!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a cute, cute little quilt!!!! Who doesn't love apples? And how much fun it can be to just pick up a quick project and finish it off!

    ReplyDelete
  19. That is sooooooooooooooooo adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oooo, so pretty! I've only bought a few kits, but they do make it so easy and relaxing.

    ReplyDelete
  21. this is adorable, love it just laying on the kitchen table. I use a lot of my little quilts this way too.
    nice to have a finish isn't it?
    Kathie
    http://inspiredbyantiquequilts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Lesley, here I am!! I couldn't wait to arrive home to write you and become your number one follower :o) It has been great to meet you this morning and I hope we are in contact from now... we have soooo many things and quilts to share!! ;o)
    Have a big hug from Cheticamp now...
    Un beso muy grande!

    ReplyDelete
  23. apologies for being not such a great friend...it has been quite a year and I have had soooo little time to get caught up on my fav quilting friends...i adore your creations and this one is no exception....I have missed so much but now with slowing down for the summer I will have some time to view your lovely creations

    ReplyDelete
  24. It turned out adorable and quick projects are always so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Darling quilt! And I love apple pie. I love a small project every now and then.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!