Sunday, June 8, 2014

Aprons and More

On our latest travels, I decided to buy souvenirs in each country I visited that would be useful. Instead of purchasing collectibles that might end up sitting on a shelf gathering dust, I decided to go with collecting tea towels with the idea of making them into "Tea Towel Aprons". Jenny at the Missouri Star Quilt Company has put together a great YouTube tutorial using basic tea towels bought from a local department store. You can see the video HERE.  So I thought, why not use tea towels gathered from the different countries I visited?

The ladies I travelled with thought it was a great idea too so I offered to make their aprons for them. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find any tea towels in Nassau, but I did find some in Bermuda, the Azores, and the UK. Here are a few I made from the Azores...








And a few are yet to be made into aprons! I think my favorite is the Bermuda towel...we saw so many houses that were so neat and tidy and colorful just like the house on the towel.




My Stonehenge towel will have to be made into a half apron or the rocks will be sideways! 


And of course a towel showing the historical sights in London was a must. What a great way to help me remember our whirlwind tour of the city...just hope I don't spill anything on it!


I have one more towel from the Azores waiting to be made into an apron. This towel was a gift from one of my travelling buddies. Isn't the machine embroidery gorgeous!



Guess I better spend more time in the kitchen!

Before I went on the trip, I made myself a small zippered pouch to take with me to hold all my little things. I machine quilted the fabric in a cross hatch design and made a little pocket for the inside.


I even attached a label too, just in case I forgot who I was. I filled it to the brim with anything that would fit and it came with me everywhere I went!



I had some fun in my sewing room lately with left over scraps of red and cream...not sure where I am going with this, but will just keep making the blocks for awhile longer. Perhaps it will be a table topper or a doll quilt...so many options!



It's a great day for quilting!

20 comments:

  1. Nifty idea for using tea towels! I have only ever thought about incorporating them into a quilt, but the apron idea is so useful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't do a lot of piecing, but, when I do, I use "starters and stoppers." Little 2 1/2" squares to sew off on at the start and end of chain piecing . So I always have a plethora of the pairs of squares. One year, I had enough to make quilts for all three of my grand sons. I also added pillow cases with the squares along the openings. It makes a very attractive quilt! Love those squares! Also, your aprons are wonderful. What a lovely gift.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the idea of the souvenir towel aprons! And your little blocks just excite me!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea with the tea towels. They are a lovely way to have memories of your travels.
    The little zip bag is sweet, too. And very practical.
    The red and cream blocks are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a clever idea you had about the aprons. Good job you realised in time that the Stonehenge one could only be a half-apron. We can't have Stonehenge falling overr now, after all those years of it standing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the t towels and the pouch is a great idea,I need to make one of those for all the darn pills I have to carry around with me.(old age doesn't come on its own ) haha.x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the idea of making those towels into aprons ... ingenious! I could use an apron ... I'm going to have to shop for tea towels on our trips! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great use of the towels and to remind you of your travel memories! Love the little blocks you are working on. Great job on pouch too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the towel idea!!! Very clever. Your zippered pouch is beautiful too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fantastic idea for the tea towels, Lesley! Great idea to use those little scraps, too!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very nice souvenirs of your trip. Using them will keep the memories alive. Really cute bag, and I love the red and white blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think the aprons for the tea towels is a wonderful idea , the towels are so pretty . Cute little bag you made for your travels too Lesley and loving those little squares , I am sure you will come up with something very creative :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your souvenir aprons are a great idea, inspired! Love the little bag you made too, it looks like a handy size. Cute wee red and white blocks :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fantastic!!
    I love that little bag. I need to hire you to put zippers in things I make. I have zipper phobia! hee,hee,hee.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your little zippered pouch! Now if only I didn't have this aversion to zippers I might attempt one. And the aprons...too cool! Better than a souvenir T-shirt, huh? *wink*

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your idea of buying tea towels as souvenirs and making them into aprons - or just using them as tea towels or possibly a table runner. What a fun way to remember your travels!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great idea for using towels that you've collected. I love your little zippered case too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Awesome idea for using your souvenir towels. You certainly chose some really nice ones. I still have a few tucked away in a drawer. Might have to get them out and steal your idea! Love your little bag, So cute! Can't wait to see what you make with your little blocks. Don't you just love to sew and sew and then decide what you are going to make! I know I do.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a wonderful idea - Jerry and I are going to England and Ireland this summer so I may have to borrow that one. I love your zippered bag too. I made one recently and it's a perfect size to hold lots of little things and then slip into my purse/backpack. blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  20. You are one, clever girl!! What a great idea. Now, if that was me, the towels would still be packed in the suitcase, but on the list!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!