Friday, June 20, 2014

I Couldn't Resist the Nested Churn Dash

I fell in love in April - with a quilt block! When Australian quilt blogger Jane, of Quilt Jane (Want It, Need It, Quilt) first showed us her Nested Churn Dash Block, I knew I had to make one. So I did. I actually made two blocks. I then chose one of them and went from start to finish to make one that could be used as a wall hanging or a table topper, or just because...



I had fun choosing fabrics that were bright, and cheerful, and summery, combined with a bright white Bella cotton solid. 



When I finished making the two blocks, I hung them out to dry, or I should say, hung them on the clothesline so I could get a picture.




Quilt Jane has started a Nested Churn Dash QAL that runs from June 1- July 30 and has invited us all to quilt along with her and ten of her "favorite quilters who will be making their blocks into a mini-quilt". It is not too late for you to start! Jane has also provided directions HERE if you want to make larger versions, maybe a pillow, bed runner, mini-quilt, table runner, or bed-sized quilt. The PDF pattern for the NCD block is available in her shop HERE for a very reasonable price of $2.00.  

I had been watching the QAL with interest and was being inspired almost daily by the NCD blocks that I was seeing popping up in blogland. But when I saw Pat Sloan's block HERE with the wavy machine quilting, that was my "A ha!"moment, the moment I knew that I had to make this little quilt sooner than later.

The blocks are so much fun to make. I chose to finish each churn dash section before choosing the fabric for the next. Once the quilt was sandwiched, I quilted it using a serpentine stitch on my Pfaff. Here are a few closer looks at the quilt and the back, which finishes at about 24" x 24".


I don't usually sew down the binding much by hand anymore, but this was too cute. I wanted to look at it even longer so I chose some matching thread and off I went to my quilting chair.



I used a Lori Holt fabric for the back, put on my label, and it was complete.

The schedule of designers and their blocks can be found HERE. Jane has started a Flick page HERE so you can see everyone's progress, showing us their versions. Jane is also offering the chance to win Aurifil thread packs or other prizes if you display your block on the Flickr page before the end of July. 

Where is my quilt today? It is in the Artisans Collective shop at the Port Hastings Museum, located at the entrance to Cape Breton, Nova Scotia. Yes, our seasonal shop opened this week, with the works of thirteen local artisans now available for purchase. Each of the artisans volunteers one day every couple of weeks in the shop and my day was today. This was my view from my desk...



and over in the corner...


The best news of all, is that today a quilter came in to the shop all the way from Spain! She also writes a blog about her quilting. So of course I had to take a picture of Estefania in front of my cottage quilt.

I was thrilled to meet Estefania, a fellow quilter and fairly new blogger, who is also passionate about quilting and writing about it. She is having a wonderful time in our area visiting quilt and fabric shops and buying as much fabric as she can fit in her suitcase! Please visit Estefania at her blog HERE and let her know I sent you. She has that wonderful "translate button" on her blog so you'll be able to read about her quilting in the language of your choice. She is making the most adorable Japanese doll quilt. You can find more of the dolls HERE. It was wonderful to meet you, Estefania, and may you have a wonderful vacation here in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia.

It's a great day for quilting!


29 comments:

  1. I love your nested churn dash. I've been trying to resist that QAL, but yours are too cute. I may have to join in. I've been at Country Sampler this week, and we've started 3 new quilt projects and two counted cross stitch projects, and not finished any of them. So I might as well add another project to the mix! Thanks for sharing these - I'm going to order the pattern once I get home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Nested Churns are just adorable! How fun to meet another quilt blogger so far from home. The shop looks very inviting - nicely set up, hope you all have lots of luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, yum...that is a beautiful nested churn dash! P.S. I went to say "hi" to your new friend. :O)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a very fun design. I love your little quilt! Never met a churn dash I didn't like. : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your nested churn dash. Great colors and beautiful quilting. How fun to meet a fellow blogger. Have a happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your nested churn dash. I plan to make this too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your churn dash does look lovely. Great colours. Thank you for the photos of the collective shop. It looks very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is wonderful and a light bulb for me! I never thought about nesting a traditional quilt design. Wow! Yes, this is now on my to-do list. Love your colors. ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  9. I so wanted to do this QAL...just not a good time for me right now. :) I so adore your churn dashes...great, happy colors! Thanks for the link to the pattern....and don't ya just love meeting new people like Estefania!! I"m off to "meet" her at her blog. Happy weekend! V:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi love!! Thanks for your words, it was exciting to go to the other part of the world and find someone with the same passion and so nice like you... As now we are in contact, we could share projects, ideas and of course, wonderful quilts like the one you have done! One day I will do it too hehehe...
    Lots of kisses!!
    Estefania

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good morning! I have popped over from Kathy's (Empty Nest but Full Heart) and am soo glad I did. I have only been involved with quilting for a few months now so it is a whole new world for me. I am kind of teaching myself with tutorials and the ladies at the local quilt shop etc. I LOVE LOVE LOVE it! I have sewn garments for years and years so I am not really new to sewing, but have found quilting to be quite different. I LOVE your little quilt. I am knee deep in projects right now so don't know if I will join in, but I know I am going to have to make that block eventually. Going to my first quilt run this morning and I am so looking forward to it. It is nice to read a blog where someone is into it as I am, lol. I will be back! Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just lovely, Lesley!! BOTH blocks! And doesn't that one look like it belongs in the shop? Hope it sells quickly, inspiring you to make more. Great pics of the shop and how delightful for Estefania to be introduced to Cape Breton by stopping and meeting you!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. A churn dash is on my to-do list ... after seeing your nested churn dash, I'm beginning to think maybe I need to do a nested churn dash.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Cuddly! Yours is my favorite Nestie yet! It just pops in the thumbnail and I couldn't click on it fast enough! I think I may have just gotten my Aha Moment from you...again! Estefanias picture with you is wonderful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have so enjoyed seeing these bloacks around the web and yours looks fantastic! LOVE the colors you used.

    How nice to meet a fellow blogger too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Isn't it interesting that a quilter all the way from Spain found you in your artisan shop? What are the chances? Your block looks perfect as usual and very cheerful. Cottage Quilt looks beautiful, too. Thanks for the links.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lesley, I love your little Churn Dash quilt. Such bright, cheerful, happy colors.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's so adorable, Lesley! Churn Dash is one of my favorite blocks! Mr. Squash and I have been to the artisans collective shop!!! I wonder if we have actually spoken to you in the past!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love your blocks ! So summery & cheerful :-D

    ReplyDelete
  20. And here I am trying SO HARD to avoid jumping into this little sew along! I love churn dash blocks and this quilt has caught my eye more than once :) Just love the rainbow fabrics you used - you know I love rainbow colors!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love the nested churn dash , I would love to make one , maybe some day . How nice to meet a fellow blogger , I must check out her blog :-) the shop looks wonderful .

    ReplyDelete
  22. OMG! your NCD is just gorgeous I can't stop thinking about it and now I have to make one too! How cool to meet Estefania. I am just about to stop by her blog to say hello.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I've never seen a Nested Churn Dash block before, but I quite like it after seeing your pictures. Well done! xx debbie

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your nested churn dash quilts are gorgeous. That is on my to do list, after I finish my current project. I need something fun most definitely after struggling with some quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I really like your mini quilt and all the bright colors. I wish I had the time to join in on that QAL.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Just perfect! I love the churn dash block - and churn dashes nested is even better!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love your churn dash....I haven't done one of those...just might!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh how fun - gorgeous spring colors for your dash quilts, and hanging out on the clothesline - darling! Shat a terrific idea to have an Artisan's collective shop in the museum. Loks like some terrific quilts there, but I wanted to see more of your bright, beautiful corner!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!